Monday, August 15, 2005

Choices

In the beginning of my bible (The Journey) in Genesis 3 there is a blurb on some of the important things to note and the author of these littles sides approaches them with the basis that the reader is going to be asking certain questions in and of themselves. At the end of Genesis 3, he answers the question that most of us have likely thought of at one time or another to the effect of: "Why would God put two trees in the garden -- especially knowing what we would choose?" The author submits...

"He didn't put two trees in the garden because we would choose, but because we could choose..."

That has stuck with me for several years now since I initally read that -- and upon reflecting on where I am at in my spiritual journey, it is being driven home in my own heart over and over. I have become so aware lately that we make choices daily both without thinking about it and by conscientiously, and sometimes tediously, doing so. Having said that, I had an epiphany recently that in area's of spiritual matters, that the power of choice is substantial. God has given us so many tools and gifts...varying from spiritual armour (the real weapons of mass destruction - of the evil one's plots) to words of life that the Fathers gives us for others, and gifts of the Spirit etc. In all of these however, they are so often preceded by a choice to use them, or even more importantly a choice to be obedient. For us guys, we are all too familiar with the wiles and schemes of the enemy with the temptations of the flesh. I have met few who do not face this on a daily basis. We know from James 1:12 that the testing of our faith in such area's leads to victory...

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

...BUT -- here's the kicker! In the midst of the trial (trials of any kind) a choice is made, and yes, most often in faith! In the situation I mentioned above, the choice is to say NO. In situations of fear, it's to TRUST, and not allow the enemy to continue his pursuit. But very often... the choice is simply to be obedient, to love. In these pressing days I feel in my heart that the Father is testing his children to see if they will love (their neighbour as themselves) -- and if not, then He will teach them to -- if their hearts are willing to be obedient. Love is not forced, but it is so often a choice of obedience - and one made in faith. It's a choice of obedience because Jesus said this to us:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

It hit me also, that Jesus made choices. Yes, even He was faced them! The way I interpret scripture, he was not robot-like doing everything just because that was His destiny. He chose to be obedient to the Father and embrace His destiny, plus He's crazy about us too(John 15:9). But when I say He chose to be obedient, take a look at this:

Luke 22:42
Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Remember that very often, someone... is on the other end of our obedience. Can we choose to love despite physical, or theological differences? Can we choose to be obedient in the midst of adversity and trials? Can we choose to say No, when "no" hardly seems an option? Of course we can, but that doesn't mean it is easy-- Holy Spirit lives inside us, just as He did in Jesus so we need His strength to help us make the right choice. So here's where I'm at...I'm reminding myself to ponder carefully what I choose in every situation -- and I'm finding that the "choice" is not necessarily instant! Sometimes the choice takes time, and prayer.. and seeking the Fathers' face.

He didn't put two trees in the garden because we would choose, but because we could choose...

What are you going to choose today?

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger saint said...

The importance of choice and free will can not be ignored as it is really the central human issue - the whole reason we needed Christ to begin with was because of the choices that were being made.

There seem to be two camps as well - the fatalists who believe that it doesn't matter what choices they make because everything is already written in stone.. and then the other side that hates any ideas of fate or destiny and just want to be free to make their own path.

Is it possible to be both of these things at once? In human terms the answer would be no - something can't be both already written AND yet to be chosen, but for God this would not be impossible at all. God DOES have a plan, and because he is God he already knows the choices we will make and the outcome of everything, but because he is God is able to know this without necessarily being the one responsible for making it happen.

So choice is key.. I think that the enemy loves to get us into a pattern of making the wrong choices - I know for me he hits me when I am not conciously thinking about a choice - maybe I have made the decision beforehand to NOT do something, and I know as soon I've done something that it was wrong and I didn't want to do that, but the enemy got me in that little in between time when my defenses were down.

I like what you said about the choice not always being an instant thing - sometimes we make choices because of a pattern we have allowed to take root, so simply making the right choice once is not enough. We may have to spend time working on making the right choices on a continual basis until a new pattern is formed.

In a way Adam and Eve formed the very first pattern of wrong choices for humanity and we have been working our way out of it ever since.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home