Thursday, May 19, 2005

Marina Guy

The other day I was down at the docks roaming around and for those of you who know me, this is not unusual. I do in fact try to get down to the marinas at least twice a week -- for me it is entirely therapeutic as I dream of being on the ocean with the sails all the way up in the wind!
Needless to say, it is a huge stress reliever for me and I've spent much time in thought and prayer in such places. Anyway as I was roaming around it started to rain, so I decided to head back to the parking lot since I didn't have much reason to get wet that day. As I ventured back I heard a guy call from behind me in my general direction:

"Are you heading into town? "

I said nothing since I figured he was talking to someone else and continued walking up the dock -- only to my mild shock he repeated himself and this time there was no mistaking he was referring to me. There is a point sometimes when everything stops around you, and you realize that you are about to be put into a situation that you don't want to be in, and all at once options start running through your mind. By the time I had one option come to mind I found myself responding to him:

"I live here actually... "

I wish to point out that my response was intended to ward off any thought on his part that I might give him a ride, since I knew what he was getting at. As I don't make it a habit to give strangers a ride I was thinking how I could avoid such a venture. Whilst thinking this he then responded: You live in the marina? So I replied... No, I mean I live in town.

He pressed on..."Well I was going to ask if I could get a ride into town with you..."

At this point I took an appraisal of whether or not I was in danger and after a quick scan I actually felt sorry for him, and indeed some compassion. He was probably in his 60’s, was roughly dressed and had two bags with him, one of them a Molson bag. So I casually replied as if I was used to this type of thing:

"Sure..."

As we walked up the docks to the parking lot, he immediately went into his own world and started reeling sentences on his experiences sailing. When I actually put his bags in the trunk, and he climbed into the passengers seat the thought rang in my head “Lord, what AM I doing?”

So off we went, and he continued with his thoughts and opinions on sailing, life and politics. Whilst barreling along the highway I noted a wedding band on his finger, and listened to him more then spoke. As I pondered the predicament he was in (it would have been a LONG walk) a thought came to mind, and it sat with me for a while:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.." Matt 25:35

As I thought about this I asked him again where he wanted me to take him, and although he said I could drop him off in town and would walk home, I offered to take him to his final destination. I was wanting to do this for him, and at the same time I had a real curiosity to see where he resided.

After about 10 minutes, we pulled up to his house and wouldn’t you know it is a lovely little house looking right onto the ocean. He continued his verbal ponderings until we reached the top of the driveway, and closed our little excursion with standard small talk.

As I got out of the car and gave his bags to him, there was a moment when we caught each other’s glance for the first time. He said nothing at first...and after a second or two he smiled brightly and thank for me for the ride. Just as he turned I told him he was welcome and asked him his name, realizing I had no idea who my brief passenger called himself. He said he his name was Brian.
In truth, I may never seen Brian again – but then this is a small town and you never know. As I got back in the car, and rolled down the driveway I pondered what just took place.

Let me be the first to say I don’t encourage people to go out and give strangers rides at random. I believe however, God used this experience to speak to me, and I hope it speaks to you in some way.

Aside from the colourful metaphors he used amidst his opinions I was definitely reminded of this…

“Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it..” Hebrews 13:2

12 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very thought provoking post - I will be sure to come to this site more often to learn of your adventures - oh wait a minute - I am married to you, therefore am privy to these stories all the time!!! Love you!
wee t xoxo

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you have done for the least of these...you have done for me. Doesn't it blow you away, your imagination expands like the universe...to think of who may have revealed himself in that car, in that divine moment. God does reveal himself in mysterious ways. Bless you ricahrd, for livin' in His moment.

Keep on Bloggin' Bro...Ron +

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The above is me...I am known.

Shalom...The Weary Pilgrim +

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Megan said...

That is kind of like an event I had a little over a month ago, I was sitting at Bean around the World ( a coffee shop downtown) waiting for some friends to come and so that we could study together. I sat down with a cup of tea and a piece of cake and opened up my books...I glanced beside me at this holder kind of rough lookin' guy who was sketching something from a somewhat questionable book...I kinda thought nothing of it and went back to my studying...time passed and he asked me what I thought of his drawing, I said it was really good and that it really looked like the girl he was drawing, he said thank you and that he practiced everyday. I told him it looked like his practice was paying off, he smiled and said I don't want to bother you though, I smiled back and we both went back to our projects. He started talking to a man on his other side, they were talking about the shows coming to the new Arena and the costs and so on. I started talking with them. He was a really nice guy, he had seen Bob Marley at the Orpheum! We all chatted until my friends came, they waved me over I said too the two men how nice it was talking with them and I hope they have a nice day and walked over to my friends. My friends said "Omy goodness we are so sorry we couldn't come rescue me sooner, that guys seemed like such a wierdo" I gave them a look and said how nice he was...I've never been one to really judge on appearances, the Lord doesn't judge us by the clothes we where, he looks at our hearts, and thats what I try to keep in mind when I meet new people, to see the real beauty in people. Good Blog Richard...keep it up. Megs

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger saint said...

You know I also make it a rule not to pick up strange people (I learned not to, having grown up with a grandmother who would pick up the devil himself if he looked forlorn enough on the side of the road). But there have two occasions when, for whatever reason, I just felt I should and both of those experiences were quite unique.

The first time I was just driving along Searidge near my grandma's house when this young guy practically jumps out of the bushes and stops me. He asks "Is Hillside ave anywhere around here? I got ditched at a party and I have to walk home but I have no idea where I am!". To which I replied "Yeah, its that way, but you'll be walking all night, hop in." So I drove him to Hillside ave (completely the opposite direction was where I was going) and dropped him off outside his house. He slipped me a $20 bill and thanked me very much.

The second time was when I picked up two EXTREMELY rough looking characters. I asked their names and the guy in front seat (whom as I recall looked like a thinner version of Rob Zombie)gave his name as "Barbed Wire" and his friend in the back was "Glen". As I drove them toward downtown, Mr. Wire proceeded to relate how he and Glen had recently gotten out of prison (I couldn't help but wonder if they had "escaped"). At that point I started to pray because I had the strange feeling like one of them had a weapon of some sort. Barbed Wire said I could drop him off "over there", which was a dark patch of road absent of all light. I said "Oh no, I'm happy to take you all the way into town!" As we drove into town I actually had the opportunity to talk a little about Jesus - not too much, but enough to establish whose team I was on. I finally dropped them off and drove home feeling like I had narrowly avoided something really bad happening.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger ~WandererShe~ said...

Good job Richard, the Lord obviously was taking you a bit out of your comfort zone - that's fantastic and you will surely reap blessing of some form in that act of moving in faith! clicky click "GRrreat job!"

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Quigley said...

Thanks Lisa -- for some reason when I read your comment I heard the sound of the "remote possibilities" voice in my head! =)

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the bandwagon...
Took you some time...
Lets have a coffee together online sometime!
Casey

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger ~WandererShe~ said...

that's strange I wonder why that would be...... :P

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Quigley said...

Sounds good Casey! Feel free to add me to your blog if you like. Looking forward to hearing more updates on your adventures!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger ~WandererShe~ said...

Tsk tsk! I climbed on the bandwagon 3rd only after Ron and Meg and you don't even have a link to my blog - you think you know some people -
rookie !! I made you all !!! Well except Ron and Meg....and yes well I didn't really make anyone...for that matter...but nonetheless

cheerio !

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Quigley said...

As Lisa wil now note, she is added to my list =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home