Tuesday, May 24, 2005

It Happened At Thrifty's

A couple of days ago, just before the weekend I was heading into Thrifty's to get a few items for din-din. As I walked into the store and observed the vast array of food and people, I walked purposefully toward the dairy section. Amidst the clanging of carts, kids screaming, and people who don' t know when to move out of the way, I somehow (without thinking about it) managed to filter everything out except the music playing on the speakers in the store. I knew the song all too well, but it took me a second before I realized what it was. Interestingly enough it was none other then Christian contemporary artist Stacie Orrico with her song "More To Life" and it dawned on me that it was playing in Thrifty's! I swam in some shock for a moment or two.

Some of you might be thinking, yes.. that's on a lot of the secular stations. But I'll give more of an example of where I'm going with this.

When we lived in the interior of BC, I'll never forget the day I walked into Save On Foods one evening to hear "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe playing on the store speakers...I was stunned. I even stood still and waited for the line "..will I dance for you Jesus...or in awe of you be still.." and true enough they didn't cut it out! I couldn't believe it. I've heard of them playing that song on some secular radio stations where we lived, but I still couldn't believe my ears since this was a store that isn't playing the radio (stores like this have set corporate stations they tune into).

So, here's where I'm going with this... What an AMAZING blessing it is to hear this music being played, but how much more of a blessing it will be for those who don't know Him. Christian music has had it rough the last 10+ years, and it is so relieving to hear it not only sound really good, but to see it surfacing into the mainstream channels. For me anyway, it's a reminder to keep our Christian artists in prayer and to remember that they too are on the front lines. I for one, hope to hear much more of the truth in grocery stores everywhere. And to think I once questioned why one earth they play music in such places!

Well someone is always listening..

7 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Island Girl said...

Too true, my brother! On a side not, aren't you glad they've stopped playing that annoying Hawaiian music?

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Megan said...

they were only playing that annoying hawaiian music because there is a decorating/theme contest between stores and they were being judged...and they used to play more to life on the radio...

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rich,
Isn't it a blessing to see how the Lord is impacting and changing the society around us? I am always in awe of Him.
Simply filled with wonder, Isn't it wonderful?

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is pretty amazing that even at a grocery store amidst the hustle and bustle of people, God can still take the time to filter thoughts from our head and lead us to focus just on Him -
and of course Richard would be led to the dairy department - my little milkaholic...JJ
tanouki

 
At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh! my son, the reason you heard the music was because of your crossing into the promised land...from aisle 4 to aisle 5 to the land of " Milk " and honey.

Joking aside, I think it is very cool...and the Spirit is moving. We pray for more...LORD. May your Kingdom come.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger saint said...

I have occasionally heard little segments of Christian rock songs on movie trailers (and also once on "Average Joe"). Always brings a tear to me eye :)

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger ~WandererShe~ said...

BOR-ING !!
I was hoping for a new post ...

Richard, Richard.....please post more of your 'pitherings' for us , for I have grown weary of the thrifty's post.....

;) ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home